Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
– Maya Angelou
Music is magic. It can take up to Cloud number 9 or down close to Inferno, in two seconds, but the journey will be the most intriguing thing you’ve ever experienced without moving. It brings back good or bad memories, but after its magic is over, you are a changed person, for better or worse.
I was raised with music. Queen, ABBA, Boney M, The Beatles were bands I knew from early age. When I was alone at home I used to listen to my dad’s vinyls records and sing along using my made up lyrics. In high school I slept only with the radio on and that’s how music became a part of my life.
It’s true I’m a big fan of 80’s and 90’s, but each decade has its own great hits. As for now I chose a couple of songs that either give me goose bumps, enhance my energy, make me sing along, dance or contemplate the world. Their magic brings me back to life, whenever I’m down. Here they are:
- Under pressure- Queen
- Getto gospel- 2Pac
- Slave to love- Bryan Ferry
- Sky and sand- Fritz & Paul Kalkbrenner
- Stop in the name of love- Diana Ross & The Supremes
- No more “I love you ‘ s”- Annie Lennox
- Ironic- Alanis Morissette
- Mad world- Gary Jules
- Nessun dorma- Luciano Pavarotti
- Il mundo- Patrizio Buanne
- Jueves- La Oreja de Van Gogh ( this song always brings tears to my eyes, because of the story behind it)
- Wann- Xavier Naidoo feat. Cassandra Steen
- Sous le vent- Garou, Celine Dion (my favorite French song)
- The show goes on – Lupe Fiasco
- Auld Lang Syne- Mairi Campbell (just because came as a soundtrack for Sex and the City)
- 500 miles- The Proclaimers (remember HIMYM?)
- Each tear- Mary J Blige ft Jay Sean
- Raise you glass – Pink
- Wake me up-Avicii
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis -Neon Cathedral (best lyrics ever)
- Read all about it- Emeli Sande
- When you believe – Mariah Carey & Whitney Huston
They are different in so many ways, but all of them have that something that works for me. What about you? Do you have a list of favorite songs that are magical to you?